Thank you for your interest in learning more about volunteer opportunities at the Association for Science in Autism Treatment (ASAT)! The important work that ASAT does in promoting science-based treatment for individuals with autism would not be possible without our volunteers.
Currently, ASAT has over 60 volunteers and externs who are committed to evidence-based autism treatment. ASAT’s team includes professionals and family members from varying backgrounds and experiences. Volunteers and externs have the opportunity for professional growth and networking through collaboration with knowledgeable and seasoned professionals who promote the advancement of science-based treatments for autism. Team members included Speech-Language Pathologists, Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs and BCBA-Ds), and Social Workers, among many others. Individuals can serve ASAT as a volunteer working in a time-limited or otherwise circumscribed role. Alternatively, individuals can join our Externship program. More information about the Externship program is detailed below.
Volunteering at ASAT:
There are many important roles that volunteers play within our organization. Some volunteer activities include, but are not limited to:
- Promoting our website, www.asatonline.org and newsletter, Science in Autism Treatment;
- Writing journal article synopses related to autism treatment;
- Monitoring and/or responding to misinformation from the media and promoting accurate information through our Media Watch initiative;
- Reviewing and improving upon website content and checking website navigation;
- Compiling and updating links and resources for visitors to our website;
- Creating databases and conducting internet research; and
- Participating in and assisting with fundraising activities
To learn more please see our Volunteer Announcement. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please submit the ASAT ASAT Volunteer Application. It is important that volunteers communicate their specific interests so their service to ASAT can be a mutually satisfying experience.
Externing at ASAT:
If you are interested in a more extensive and structured experience, please consider a 150 hour Externship with ASAT. The duration of the Externship program is approximately one year. A typical month includes 12-15 hours of direct Extern work, though this is flexible given the specific projects that are active at any given time. We accept Externs with a wide range of experience and backgrounds from high school through advanced graduate training. Externship activities may include the following:
- Writing for our quarterly newsletter or for our website (e.g., Clinical Corner, Consumer Corner);
- Proofreading content of our quarterly newsletter;
- Learning how to critically evaluate published research;
- Learning about grant writing and participating in all aspects of the process starting with grant research and selection and culminating in actual submission;
- Learning how to evaluate and critique media representations of autism treatment;
- Learning about fundraising conceptualization, development, and execution both at the local and national levels;
- Actively participating in social media and learning about its use to convey information to the autism community;
- Learning about autism services in other parts of the world and engaging in efforts to promote dissemination and awareness of science-based treatments;
- Working alongside board members in an array of writing, editing, and fundraising activities;
- Participating in Extern conference calls to share ideas, provide updates on externship activities, and discuss seminal articles. These calls are conducted over the phone approximately every three weeks and are scheduled at times that do not interfere with the daily professional responsibilities Externs have outside of ASAT; and
- Working toward the completion of three individualized goals (mutually agreed upon by the Extern and ASAT)
Read what some of our Externs are sharing about their experiences.
“The Externship has been a valuable professional experience that has helped me to develop a variety of professional skills while also contributing in a meaningful way to the dissemination of quality information on science-based autism treatment.” ~ Liz Callahan (Hoboken, NJ)
“I joined ASAT's Externship Program to participate in dissemination of science-based autism treatment on a larger scale. I wanted to be part of a network and team of other professionals who value the use of empirical research for developing treatments for individuals with autism.” ~ Tiffany Kilby (Panama City, Florida)
“I am honored to be involved with an organization that is committed to helping families and professionals draw the line between unsubstantiated treatment options and behavior analytic interventions, grounded in the best available scientific evidence. Working alongside knowledgeable board members has provided me with many valuable research, writing, and social media opportunities. Thank you ASAT!” ~ Leanne Tull (Toronto, Canada)
“Working with ASAT has been a great experience. I’ve had the opportunity to use my strengths and build upon them by writing in the newsletter, learning about the grant application process, and collaborating with other team members. Most of all, my experience has enhanced my skepticism and ability to look for the facts.” ~ Alice Walkup (Los Angeles, California)
If you are interested in applying to the Externship Program, please submit the ASAT Externship Application.
We look forward to hearing from you. If you are interested in other ways you can support ASAT (e.g., fund raising), please visit our How You Can Help Page.